Julia Smith, Director
Julia manages INN Labs, the product and technology arm of the Institute for Nonprofit News. She leads a team of news technologists to develop software that supports and advances the work of INN member organizations.
Julia regularly speaks at journalism-tech conferences across the globe, sharing insights on interactive storytelling, newsroom product management, and news application design. She comes to INN from the Center for Investigative Reporting where she was a 2015 Knight-Mozilla Fellow researching mobile data visualization.
Her editorial work has appeared in National Geographic, Reveal, The Chicago Reporter, and The Omaha World-Herald. Her data reporting projects have been recognized with an IRE Philip Meyer Award and a NATAS Emmy Award for New Approaches in Current News Coverage.
Julia is earning her M.S. in Information Design & Strategy from Northwestern University with a specialization in Data Science & Analytics. She holds a B.A. in Journalism from Creighton University.
Early in her career, she worked as a corporate software developer and user experience designer before an enthusiastic return to the news industry.
Kay Lima, Support and Community Lead
Kay comes to INN most recently from a marketing firm in New York City where she has supported clients and users through her roles as a client-facing project manager and digital marketing manager. She has worked on various WordPress, Drupal, and custom technology projects. She also holds a degree in Music from Salem State University, is certified in Inbound Marketing and Google Analytics, and is a graduate of a renowned full-stack coding bootcamp.
At INN, Kay will be leading front-line support for our member organizations and consulting clients and will also be responsible for creating documentation, training and other resources to assist publishers in the adoption and use of our Largo WordPress platform and the other tools we build and support.
Ben Keith, News Applications Developer
Ben Keith is INN's only news applications developer with a degree in agricultural communications. He graduated in May 2014 from The Ohio State University, spent the summer working on Largo, moved to Idaho for four months to write for Progressive Dairyman, and returned to INN in December 2014.
Ben's interest in web development began with messing around in the browser in high school, and then helping a national park set up a WordPress website during a summer internship. He ventured into journalism as a result of an agricultural communications course requirement, and liked it so much that he became the student webmaster of The Lantern, Ohio State's student-run paper.
- Nick Bennett, News Applications Developer (2015)
- Jack Brighton, Manager of Support, Documentation and Training (2015-2016)
- Will Haynes, Apprentice News Apps Developer (2014-2015)
- Kaeti Hinck, Design Director (2014-2016)
- Gabriel Hongsdusit, Design Apprentice (2016-2017)
- Jacki Keys, Support Specialist (Summer 2014)
- RC Lations, Lead Developer (2016-2017)
- Dani Litovsky Alcalá, Data Science Apprentice (Summer 2015)
- Denise Malan, Director of Data Services (2015-2016)
- Meredith Melragon, Support Specialist (2014-2015)
- Ryan Nagle, Director of Technology (2014-2016)
- Sinduja Rangarajan, News Apps Apprentice (2016)
- David Ryan, News Apps Apprentice (2015-2016)
- Adam Schweigert, Senior Director (2012-2017)