UPDATE: Applications for the fall have now closed but if you're interested in interning with us in the spring or summer next year, you can send your resume/portfolio to email@example.com and we'll reach back out to you when those applications open.
The Investigative News Network (INN), a network of 100+ nonprofit news organizations, is looking for one or more good interns to join our news applications and technology team.
A bit about us: as a team, we exist to support the work of our member organizations, many of which are small nonprofits with limited technology resources. We focus primarily on problems that we are uniquely suited to tackle at a network level, for example:
- Hosting and supporting about 30 member websites using a WordPress-powered platform/framework we've built and maintain - http://largoproject.org
- Building open source tools to support members' editorial work and presentation needs with the goal of making their work look as great as any of the largest for-profit newsrooms
- Supporting editorial collaborations between member organizations, facilitated by INN's data and collaborations editor
- Providing general technology consulting, training and developing resources to help increase the overall level of tech knowledge and ability across the network
Our interns work closely with our full-time team members and, in some cases, with members directly on all of the above. You will not be making coffee and running errands. You will however build stuff, work on real projects, ship code and write about your experience on our team blog.
Some skills/technologies/attributes that would be helpful for this position include:
- Able to work independently (particularly important for remote candidates) and communicate effectively with other team members and (where applicable) with member organizations directly
- Some experience with version control systems such as git(hub) and WordPress (particularly theme design/development)
- Ideas for what you'd like to learn/make/accomplish during your time with us
We'd prefer a 6 month commitment working about 20 hours a week but the schedule and length of the internship is flexible.
This is a paid (hourly) position and remote candidates are fine.
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a workplace where diversity is valued. In addition to federal law requirements, INN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
To apply: send resume/portfolio, brief cover letter (email is fine) explaining what you'd like to get out of your internship with us and links to recent projects you're proud of to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open until filled, but for priority consideration please apply by Friday, August 15, 2014 at 5pm ET.