Update: applications for this position are now closed. We encourage you to subscribe to our newsletter if you'd like to stay in the loop regarding future positions.
We've grown a lot over the last year and we're excited to start 2015 by adding another member to the team. We're looking for a new full-time developer to join the team and help out with both our internal and client projects.
This is a slightly more junior role on the team so even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications, we'd still encourage you to apply. The most important thing is that you care about using your talents to help make a real impact in the world by supporting nonprofit journalism. If that sounds like you then we're super excited to hear from you!
Here's the full description and how to apply:
The Investigative News Network (INN), a network of 100+ nonprofit news organizations, has an opening for a full-time developer on our technology team.
As a team, we exist to support the work of our member organizations, many of which are small nonprofits with limited technology resources. We focus primarily on problems that we are uniquely suited to tackle at a network level, for example:
- Hosting and supporting over 30 member websites using a WordPress-powered platform/framework we've built and maintain - http://largoproject.org
- Building open source tools to support members' editorial work and presentation needs with the goal of making their work look as great as any of the largest for-profit newsrooms
- Providing general technology consulting, training and developing resources to help increase the overall level of tech knowledge and ability across the network
We are a small (but growing!) team of makers (presently three, soon to be four full-time employees with a handful of contractors and interns). This position would work closely with our senior developer and the rest of the team to tackle design and technology problems facing our member organizations and consulting clients.
Here are some desired skills and attributes for this position (we understand you might not meet all of these but if this roughly sounds like you, we'd love to hear more):
- 1-2+ years professional experience in web/mobile development; degree in computer science or another relevant field preferred (but not required)
- Strong front-end skills (HTML/CSS/JS) and design sensibility with a focus on end-user experience; experience with responsive design principles. Experience with CSS pre-compilers and front-end frameworks such as LESS/SASS, jQuery, Bootstrap, etc. would also be helpful.
- Intermediate to expert knowledge of the full LAMP stack with a particular focus on PHP/MySQL and experience developing for WordPress including themes, plugins and working with WordPress multisite; Some exposure to and/or experience with one or more other modern server-side programming languages such as Python or Ruby would be helpful.
- Experience with version control (we use git), automated deployment tools (we use fabric and grunt) and project management tools (we use Jira).
- It would be great if you had some experience with one or more of the following: data visualization and mapping tools; photo, video, illustration and other visual/graphic design skills.
- Strong communication skills including the ability to explain complex things simply and experience writing documentation for a variety of audiences; commitment to openness and showing/writing/talking about your work. We open source and write about nearly every project we do and encourage our team members to speak at industry conferences, local tech meetups, etc.
- Curiosity and the willingness to learn, adapt and teach
This is a full-time position with benefits. Our compensation package is commensurate with experience and extremely competitive. We are also committed to giving our employees the tools they need to do their job and supporting their professional growth so you'll get an allowance for hardware, software, travel to conferences, etc.
Our team is presently distributed so remote candidates are fine as long as you're comfortable with that. Previous experience working remotely would be helpful. If you'd rather work with us (in the same room) we have team members in Columbus (OH), Chicago, Minneapolis and Kansas City (MO) or you could work out of INN's home office in Encino, CA.
INN is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating a workplace where diversity is valued. Applications from women, people of color, and other under-represented groups are particularly encouraged. In addition to federal law requirements, INN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Brief resume/CV
- Cover letter (an email is fine) explaining why this is the perfect position for you
- A few projects you're particular proud of (links to projects in the wild, github repos, etc.) with a brief description of the role you played in each
- Salary expectations (ballpark is fine)