We're thrilled to attend the OpenNews Code Convening at Write the Docs in Portland, on May 17, 2015.
In anticipation of the event, teammate Ben Keith and I spent some time thinking about and writing down what we want to accomplish this Sunday.
Here's a quick rundown of our plan.
Our primary audience for the work we aim to complete this weekend is the group of developers using Largo as the base/parent theme for their news site. We want to pay special attention to INN's members that are short on time, money and technical experience.
- We're aiming to start filling out the API docs/function reference, which means LOTS of cleanup of Largo source code.
- We need technical docs for those people looking to use Largo as a framework to customize and/or enhance their site.
- Homepage layout system.
- Child themes (partially covered in Largo Sample Child Theme).
- Custom Largo functionality that can be used in widgets and child theme.
- How to setup a development environment to work on your child theme.
- Teach people how to work with us more effectively.
- Our audience has some background in programming. They are familiar with the high-level components of computer programming (e.g., variables, functions, conditions, etc.).
- Our audience may not be familiar with PHP, WordPress or Largo. We should use plain language and be as explicit as possible in order to help them reach their goals.
It's important to set realistic expectations for this sort of event. With 140+ open issues in the Write the Docs milestone for Largo, I'm sure there will be work left to do after the event.
Of course, even if we manage to close every last ticket in the queue, there will always be more work to do and other ways to contribute.
And if you'd like more information on the work we'll be doing at the code convening this weekend, we also have a doc for that!