We're looking for a front-end developer-slash-designer to join our team! In this role, you'll be the team's go-to design and CSS/JS expert, working on client projects and INN Labs tools like Largo and our publishing plugins. The job is full-time and fully remote!
Front-end Developer & Designer
As an organization, INN works to advance new business and editorial models for independent publishers. INN Labs uses technology to support INN's mission in our work with our members, partners, and clients across the news industry. We focus on solving problems that we are uniquely suited to tackle at a network level, such as:
- Building open-source publishing tools to support newsrooms' editorial and business goals
- Providing custom web development, training, and resources to consulting clients
- Supporting 40+ member websites using Largo, an open source WordPress platform/framework that we design, build and maintain
Our work is divided between our own projects advancing the sector as a whole and one-on-one consulting and support for members and clients.
We value diversity, work in the open, have a lot of fun, and try to do everything we can to give back to the journalism-tech community. (Read more about our team values here.)
The ideal candidate for this position is passionate about design and looking to put their skills to use tackling problems facing nonprofit news organizations.
You'll be joining an accomplished team and have the opportunity to work on a diverse range of projects while continuing to learn and develop new skills. As the team's go-to design and front-end expert, you will be responsible for:
- Creating style tiles, user flows, and wireframes and/or mockups for client projects
- Making strategic design decisions related to branding, new functionality and features for INN Labs products (like these)
We are flexible on exactly how this role will will fit in with the rest of the team, but here are some desired skills and attributes for the position (we understand you might not meet all of these but if this roughly sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you):
- Previous professional experience in editorial design and technology
- Strong design sense and a focus on user-experience
- Experience with rapid prototyping and an understanding of the right level of fidelity needed to clearly communicate your ideas
- Experience working with WordPress and theming
- Experience using git/GitHub
- Commitment to openness and sharing/writing/talking about your work
- Curiosity and the willingness to learn, adapt and teach
Nice to have:
- Experience with one or more server-side programming languages (we use PHP and Python)
- Experience working with data visualization and mapping tools
- Photo, video, illustration or other related visual/graphic design skills
- Experience working in an agency setting
This is a full-time position with benefits. Our compensation package is competitive and commensurate with experience. We are also committed to giving our employees the tools they need to do their job and supporting their professional growth so you'll receive an allowance for hardware, software, travel to conferences, etc.
We are a distributed team and this is a remote position. Previous experience working remotely would be helpful but we'll do whatever we can to help and support your transition if this is your first remote job.
INN is an equal-opportunity employer, and we are committed to creating a workplace where diversity is valued. People of color, women, and members of other under-represented groups in journalism, media, and technology are strongly encouraged to apply. In addition to federal law requirements, INN complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
- Brief resume/portfolio
- Cover letter (an email is fine) explaining why you're excited about working with us
- A few projects you're particular proud of (links to projects, your GitHub repo, etc.)
The application deadline is Monday, Dec. 4, 2017.