This week's release of updates to the Largo WordPress theme is all about improvements for images, pull quotes, and media. It also brings improved compatibility and editorial functions for the WordPress Block Editor.
This release includes:
- Improved pull quote display. The Pull Quote block gains full styling, so that block quotes and pull quotes no longer appear the same.
- The ability to insert media credits from the Media Gallery in the block editor.
- More thumbnail display options for the Series Post widget.
- Compatibility with WP 5.2's
wp_body_open hook, which will be increasingly important for plugin compatibility.
This release also contains a number of fixes and minor updates. Particular thanks go to outside contributor @megabulk.
What's new in 0.6.4?
For the full details on what we've updated in version 0.6.4, including improvements for developers, please see the Largo 0.6.4 official release notes.
Upgrading to the Latest Version of Largo
Before updating, please see the upgrade notices outlined here.
When Largo was first released, it contained functionality for things that did not yet exist in WordPress core, like term metadata. Our next release will continue the work already underway to streamline the theme and seamlessly switch to using WordPress' now-built-in functionality.
This is in addition to an overall focus to improve Largo's frontend for mobile-first speed and easy editorial customizations.
Another part of the work we’ve done recently with Largo has been to spin out important functionality for publishers into standalone plugins. This makes these features widely available for any WordPress site to use while further streamlining the Largo theme and improving overall performance. We published the Disclaimers plugin last year. The 0.7 release of Largo will complete the transition of the Disclaimers Widget as a standalone plugin by removing the widget from Largo. We're doing the same with our Staff plugin.
New INN Labs publishing tools:
- We recently launched the Republication Tracker Tool plugin which allows publishers to easily share their stories with other websites and then track engagement of those shared stories in Google Analytics.
- Link Roundups received important updates in the version 1.0 release. This WordPress plugin helps editors aggregate links from around the web and save them as “Saved Links”. You can publish these curated links in widgets and posts in your site, or push Link Roundups directly to subscribers via MailChimp.
Send us Your Feedback
We want to know what you think will make Largo better. Send us an email with your ideas!