What we're reading this week
Ben: Content “blocks” are the happening thing. WordPress is working on Gutenberg. Tumblr is moving from plain HTML to the Neue Post Format. ProPublica now runs on Craft, which is built around blocks. What else is out there?
RC: Jake Spurlock’s presentation, A Biased Guide to Managing Bias, is a must read.
Julia: This post on the narrowing gap between design and code suggests that a new era of design etiquette is upon us.
Kay: Designing, developing, and testing for multiple screen sizes has its challenges - including not being able to work with multiple devices at the same time. That’s why I was excited to read about XRespond, a tool made to simplify that process and give you an all-in-one overview.
Inndy: Fear dumb robots.
PEOPLE ARE MAKING THINGS
Helpful projects that you can join
This is a roundup of all Irma-related things that people can contribute to remotely: mapping projects, newsroom projects, and so on:
- Get started with community projects by reading this onboarding document from the Irma Response Slack. Check out the list of projects being coordinated there and what those projects need. What is Irma Response? Here are the details.
- The Humanitarian Open Street Maps Team is coordinating a number of map improvement projects centered on Hurricane Irma and the flooding in Bangladesh and Nepal.
- Irmaresponse.org is mapping shelters, volunteer opportunities and needs, and evacuations.
- The New Tropic and WLRN are running a crowdsourced map for shelter, gas, water, and other supplies. Read about it on Poynter.
- The Disaster Response Corps is looking for techies. Sign up here.
The above is what ran in the Nerd Alert Newsletter sent on Friday, September 8. We're keeping an updated version of this list over here.
Be in the know
This Saturday, September 9, is the last day to fill out the OpenNews News Nerd Survey.
September 22: Last day to pitch talks to the 2018 Computer Assisted Reporting conference, aka NICAR.
September 23: Data Journalism Bootcamp at CUNY – sign up soon!
September 29: Last day to apply for a Knight Visiting Nieman Fellowship.
Work we admire by our journalism peers
GET A JOB
Good jobs with good people
CALmatters is hiring an audience engagement manager.
Reese News Lab is hiring a data scientist.
100 Days in Appalachia is hiring a digital managing editor.
WNYC is hiring a data reporter.
Gather ye rosebuds
LISTEN: Bohemian Rhapsody on a fairground organ
WATCH: A webcam on Miami Beach ⛱
EAT: Do-it-yourself Meals Ready to Eat
DRINK: Clean water
PLAY: The Magic Door
Stay dry, friend.